Hales Owen, a small town bordering the Shropshire and Worcestershire has been bandied about between the two counties since 1066. Prior to the Battle of Hastings, the town was in Worcestershire before being transferred into Salop then reverting to Worcestershire in 1844. Nowadays, Halesowen is part of the Dudley Borough in the West Midlands Metropolitan Area.
Roger De Montgomery fought valiantly at the Battle Of Hastings and was largely responsible for William the Conquerors victory. As a reward, William made Roger overlord of many areas including Shrewsbury, the area now know as Montgomery shire and the Manor of Halas.
There were differing opinions to the meaning of the word Halas. Some believed it to mean 'in the hollow', while others believed it was from the Anglo-Saxon word meaning 'in the meadows'. Now the popular belief is that it is the plural of 'halh' meaning nook or corner piece of land. http://www.birminghamuk.com/halesowen.htm
For his convenience Roger transferred Halas from the Clent Hundreds to the Brimstry Hundreds and thereby put Halas under the administrative control of Salop.
Earl Roger died in July 1094 and his lands were inherited by his son Robert De Belleme.
In 1101, the lands were confiscated after Robert took part in a plot against Henry 1st. Robert De Belleme was exiled in Normandy.
In 1177,Henry 2nd granted the lands to his sister, Emma, the wife of David App Owen, the Prince of Wales.
Shortly afterwards the town became known as Hales-Owen